View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Water pump "studs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
Yes Brent, I can believe someone replacing a water pump. I have been on many a tour and someone is having issues and walk up and they have replaced the coil, then the carburetor, then the distributor.... and on it goes. Instead of looking at the problem and thinking through what was causing it. Just my thoughts on experience from tours. That's why in our club we try to cover the basics in seminars. I do a distributor seminar and each person has to take the distributor out of our test engine and put theirs in and set the timing and get it running. I think in a lot of circles the club members don't know their cars.
Likely a very accurate statement.

I guess for me personally, I have been on Model-A tours for better than 50 years now, and I honestly cannot think of a situation that has ever arisen where the water pump needed to be replaced on the side of the road and having these bolts that look like studs would have been a requirement or even a God-send.

As I continue to shake my head, just think about this, -even a broken water pump impeller shaft (-however that might happen! ) would be an easy fix by removing the belt and driving the Model-A on down the road with a broken shaft. The truth of this scenario is if someone has the forethought to replace the pump studs with these fasteners, they likely installed a new water pump, -or at least the impeller shaft during the restoration. If an original two-blade fan broke an ear, ...again, no need to remove the pump on the side of the road. Just break the other blade off and drive on. If the housing casting broke, to me it seems plausible the fan would damage the radiator.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote