View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 09:38 PM   #6
alexiskai

Default Re: Water pump "studs"

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Colin, when these first came out a decade or so ago, the general consensus was "why"?? The first part of questioning 'why' is; How often does the water pump need to be removed? I know of restored cars that have not removed the water pump in decades. For as little time as it takes to loosen two nuts on the radiator support rods, and loosen/remove the upper radiator hose, the radiator will tilt forward to give the clearance needed.
To be clear: my original point was to advise against buying the bolts-camouflaged-as-studs, and to remind folks that the bolts only work as advertised when using the two-bladed fan. I don't have an opinion on the bolts themselves. It does seem to me that there are two potential buyers for the bolts.

One is the extended tourer, like Synchro, who is interested in anything that reduces the time to make a roadside repair. The other is what I would call the "hesitant mechanic," someone who is reluctant to make a repair any more complicated than necessary.

There are a number of reasons why someone might be a hesitant mechanic. Maybe they're just getting started and don't want to start a procedure they don't know how to finish. Maybe they don't have a lot of tools or a good place to work, maybe they don't have a lot of time.

It reminds me of this thread from six months ago, discussing options for the ignition clamp on the #8 stud. Several suggestions were put forward for altering or removing the clamp. You said something to the effect of "it's no big deal, just lower the coolant level and you can remove the nut without causing a leak." Other folks responded to the effect of "OK but maybe I don't want to drain the coolant." Same thing here – some folks just don't want to loosen the radiator. I assume they have their reasons.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote