View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Synchro909

Default Re: Air filter for right-hand drive vehicles?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
There are many things on a RHD car that Henry either didn't consider or didn't find an answer to. An air filter is one. I sometimes wonder if his decision not to fit an air cleaner on any Model A was influenced by that.
Even on the B motor when he had well over 30 years of experience (problems) with it, he screwed it up. The larger B carburettor had to be savagely cut away at the intake almost back to the choke shaft because it fouled the steering box. An absurd oversight that should have resulted in someone in the design department being sacked, IMO.
There used to be an air cleaner available that did a U turn under the carby, then came upwards a bit to the actual cleaner mounted at the front of the valve chamber cover but they can't be used with one of those full flow oil filters. Another oversight by people who know nothing but LHD cars! I get around it by making a short convoluted manifold that comes upwards and out between the steering column and the choke rod. A flexible hose then connects to a modern paper element air cleaner mounted on the radiator stays.