Thread: Horn Help
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
1965 Mustang

Default Horn Help

I have a 6 volt 1929 model A with a Stewart Warner horn which appears to be original to 1929 as the motor and insides look pretty old fashioned. It works good but there seems to be a very slight short to ground somewhere that gradually discharges the car battery. But not enough to sound the horn when just sitting. Again when everything is hooked up and the horn button is pushed on the steering wheel the horn sounds loudly. (If I put a test light between the positive/ground cable and the positive terminal on the battery it lights when doing nothing and goes out when the horn wires are disconnected thus indicating a slight current draw) I used a ohm meter and found there is always continuity between both of the input wires on the little insulating block under the horn cover and the mounting bracket on the horn body. So I am guessing there is a slight short somewhere in the horn. Or maybe I am off base and the whole trouble is in the horn button and/ or wiring to the button on the steering wheel. Any thoughts?

For a long time I used some cork gasket material and tape to insulate the horn at the mounting stud under the left head light and everything worked fine. Thank you

Thank you.
1965 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote