View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Joe K

Default Re: Radius Rods fitting - again

You sure you don't want to sell those "old" rods? They don't seem too bad to me. A large vise and a 4' piece of 1-1/2" pipe with a tee on the end can straighten a radius rod QUITE nicely.

I have a 1930 rod which is rusted out. This seems to be the more common failure mechanism.

Back to your issue. I might try unbolting the backing plates on both side, and then loosely assemble EVERYTHING. Then try pulling everything in one bolt at a time.

There is not that much variation in the radius rods. And I suspect only "accumulated errors" (and those you introduced yourself during getting one side in place) may be keeping the other one from going in too.

Get yourself back to a point where the errors can "re-distribute" themselves - and then go forward.

(PS. I am looking for a set of 28-29 rods to complete a rear axle I'm assembling from pieces and from which the 30 rod was taken. I have contacted one of the Classified sellers but he may not be checking his inbox that often? His loss may be your gain?)

Joe K