View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
fordfun

Default Radius Rods fitting - again

Well today's activity probably falls under the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category. I've just rebuilt the rear brakes on my 1929 Sport Coupe, and thought it would be a good time to replace the bent-up radius rods that came on the car. I bought a good replacement set (used) from Bert's a while ago, and they look great next to the ones I pulled off. (see photos)

I attached the new ones to the brake plate assemblies on the car, and found that the inboard ends extended 1/8" to 3/16" too far forward to attach. After a great deal of persuasion (c-clamps, etc.), I got the driver's side on, but so far I have been unable to line up the passenger-side rod. My clamps just won't push the rod back far enough to take the bolt.

At this point I'm wondering whether I should 1) Try enlarging (slotting) the forward hole of the rod not yet installed (if that's possible with common tools such as files, etc.; 2) Re-install the old rod on the passenger side; or 3} Re-install the old rods on both sides.

I suspect that some of the wrenching I did to get the driver's side rod in place may have affected the fit on the passenger side, so the old rod may not want to go back in easily unless I remove the new rod.

I've seen suggestions mentioned in others threads on this subject that include using a smaller diameter bolt in the forward fitting, cutting and welding the rods, etc. Slotting the hole seems like it might be easier, unless there's a problem with doing this.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have on the proper course of action.

Thanks - Bill

[/LIST]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old rods 001.jpg (34.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg old rods 002.jpg (34.8 KB, 62 views)
fordfun is offline   Reply With Quote