View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #34
G.M.

Default Re: '35, need electric fan help

Take the restrictors out and fix the problem. Your water is backing out the over flow tube and you are running low on water. Look down in the top tank and I'll bet you don't have an inch of water over the radiator tubes. You have a 22 quart system not an 18 quart one. Install Skips 3 lb valve on the bottom end of the over flow tube. This or a 4 lb pressure WORKING pressure cap on radiators with the over flow in the radiator fill neck stops the water lose. The pressure cap or 3 lb valve allows the water to be forced through the system which improves cooling. Skips high volume pumps which double the flow of water through the system provide an average of 25 degrees cooling improvement as posted by many users right here on this site. Look it up in past posts. More water in the system, more circulation of water and more air through the radiator are the key to better cooling. Improve any one and the cooling improves, improve all 3 and the cooling is perfect. I have a 39 P/U that has been run over 2 hours at a fast idle on a day over 100 degrees outside. It never got to 180 and if I increased the RPMs a little the temperature came down. The 39 P/U has Skips pumps, 6 bladed industrial fan and a shroud. Your small fan will NEVER cool your engine in hot weather at slow speeds or in stop and go traffic. I'm not into electric fans but I guess if fan planning is not figured out when installing engines it may be required. When driving above 30 or 35 MPH the fan has no cooling effect. The forced air from the forward motion is what cools the water. If car is driven directly into the wind on a warm day at 45 to 50 MPH it will run about 10 degrees cooler than if you have the wind from the rear even though the engine should be working a little harder going into the wind. If you listen to people like the one that recommended the restrictors you will still be on here next year trying to solve this problem. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRESSURE VALVE 2.jpg (18.9 KB, 12 views)