View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #32
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Engine inspection (with pics)

Another update. I pulled the pistons and low and behold, the bore is a bastard size. .100 over pistons an the bores mic 3.986 (.011 over the proper .100 over bore size). Put a compression ring in the cylinder and found the gap to be somewhere around 1/4". And this thing used oil???, wholda thunk. So I'm now in the throws of deciding what to do about it. The bores are good, no taper and zero ridge so I'm thinking that who ever bored the block just plain did it wrong. Two of the piston were scored pretty bad, likely due to it overheating a couple times before i put a temp gauge in it and subsequently changed the rad. I did some experimenting on the old pistons and am considering two solutions (no, getting it rebored to .125 over is not one of them at this time).I can knurl the skirts on .100 over pistons and easily get them to an interference fit then gently emery the peaks to achieve the required clearance. This has the added benefit of lube retention on the skirts. The other way is to get .125 over pistons and turn them down a few thou to achieve the proper piston/wall clearance. This has the added benefit of being able to also turn the head portion to proper clearance. Either way I will get .125 over rings and file them to proper gap.I have the weekend to ponder before ordering pistons on monday. Any thoughts on either of these two options welcomed.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote