View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #26
johnneilson

Default Re: Engine inspection (with pics)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Hi Jim

As the engine has excellent compressions on all 4 cylinders better than others I have who use very little oil and have no blow by I reasoned that it must be slack guides . On the exhaust stroke the valve pocket is pressurised and if room around the valve stem and guide I thought exhaust gasses could pass down into the valve chest hence pressurising the crankcase etc etc . So it would seem I am wrong so why the engine with very good compressions blows by all over the starter motor area remains a mystery !!!

John in same place same weather Suffolk County England .
John,

Just a compression test alone does not indicate ring sealing. The issue of oil blowing out of the fill tube indicates that. Exhaust valve stem, sorry, no. But, a leak somewhere else could be the issue. I had a friend missing a front cover bolt and it did the same thing, bolt under generator covered the starter in oil.

In reality, the piston rings never seal completely. There must be a slight leakage through the rings to the oil ring to control the oil. Many articles on this subject written on web. I would also inject here that the ring package on the "A" is marginal at best, especially when driven at the higher RPM's.

Like the old saying goes, "if it is not leaking oil, it doesn't have any".

I make it a point to park outside of friends driveway, an on the driveway of those that aren't.

John, roasting in SoCal.