View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
Kube

Default Re: didn't use Permatex Thread Sealant when installing heads

[QUOTE=RandyMettler;1716636]Kube,

Thanks for your help. "One: run the engine up to operating temperature a total of three times. In between each cooling down period, properly torque the heads again."

So to get the engine up to operating temperature you need coolant in the block? If so, I add aluminum powder when replacing the coolant and run three times? I assume coolant will be slowly leaking out the nuts on the bolts as I go through the stepped procedure. I incorrectly said I have bolts but I have studs with nuts. Could it hurt to also use Pete's advice first before preforming your fix? When I get help from Senior members I try and take all advice.
Randy, Yes, run it three times before doing anything else (like adding sealant) as Pete and I have advised. Once you've run it up to temp (yes, with coolant) and torqued (once cooled back down), THEN add the sealant. It won't hurt anything and stays in motion unless it is needed at a leak point.

Many guys fear clogging issues with sealant. This doesn't happen with the aluminum powder sealers.