View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
P.S.

Default Re: Tranny fluid leaking from clutch housing hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Lots of questions... open up the inspection cover and look inside to see where it coming from. I really think it's engine related and NOT trans. Especially since you said you rebuilt the engine. Was the trans touched?

If it's trans lube unless it's coming out through the clutch release/front bearing keeper and there was no oil baffle on the front of the main drive gear I don't see where it would be coming from. If the trans was apart were the gaskets used on the front of the transmission for the main drive grear, and trans to bell housing. Were they both sealed well with gasket cement/sealer.

I always seal up the front of the cluster gear shaft with RTV, and then a skim on the bottom end before gasketing trans to gasket.

I believe as I stated in the beginning carefully looking into the inspection area find out where it is leaking from..... You may want to remove the 3 cap screws holding the inspection cover at the flywheel housing/rear main and make sure what your rear main is doing oil wise.

Hoping for the best for you...
Larry Shepard
Thank you for the response, Larry.

I never separated the transmission from the clutch housing, so am just assuming that gasket is there based on no leaking before the motor reinstallation.

I will do as you suggested and pull the inspection cover and try to locate source. It may be difficult since it does not leak unless underway, and very shortly thereafter.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote