View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #266
MALAK

Default Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
T-170 RTS hard parts are not easy to come by. Folks generally have to purchase a whole used transmission and hope the parts are still good.
This is true but parts are out there.

By total random chance, I got lucky and found a brand new cluster, the one needed to make the Goldilocks ratio, mis-listed on eBay as a Jeep cluster; none of the Jeep versions of this trans had OD. I could tell by the seller's pic and the relative size of the gears on the cluster that it was NOT a Jeep cluster. Had him send me a tooth count and sure enough, it was the 31-34-23-15 Ford OD cluster, and I got it for $90 . I also found a new 22T input shaft on ebay(to mate with the cluster) for a reasonable $119 and a used 19T OD gear from a used transmission parts dealer. I've also made a new 19T OD gear (not for the faint of heart). For reference the elusive 31-34-23-15 cluster on left and the RTS 27.6% cluster on right. They look the same but there is 1 tooth difference in the input shaft position and the OD position. The elusive 19T OD gear on left and the 19T OD gear I made on right.

With this cluster and OD the gear the ratios are:
1st = 3.01
2nd = 1.78
3rd = 1.00
4th = .79 = 27.0%

As far as parts are concerned it seems half the battle is knowing what you're looking for and the other half chance (luck).

Tom

Last edited by MALAK; 05-11-2021 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added info
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote