View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #11
Joe K

Default Re: Tom Endy: Transmission Bearings (Hyatt style)

Um. Hyatt pioneered the spiral wound hollow "roller" bearing. Much favored for rear wheel bearings as the spring/rollers have some "give" to them.

Pix of a broken Model T wheel bearing.

Timken tended to be the Ford provider of tapered roller bearings. I see in pix of Hyatt bearings these are available from them too. A former nuclear engineer myself I would take anything Timken over almost anything else on the market. Nuclear grade bearings are the same as regular grade bearings except regular doesn't have the paperwork. Timken CAN provide nuclear paperwork for ANY bearing with their name - for a price.

Torrington provided small diameter solid roller (needle) bearings such as bearing used in the water pump fan/shaft. May have produced the needle bearings for the transmission too. When I do water pumps, I use the Torrington race pressed on the water pump shaft, a Torrington needle bearing, and the matching "cup" (actually a cylinder) that it turns in.

There were "cross-overs."

Also, given what I saw earlier is accurate, Greg's "Hyatt" (so claimed I don't see it marked) bearing in the original wrapper may be closest to the original Hyatt bearing I produced.

Bower bearing in my experience tended to be the "cheap alternative" and were one of the first bearings to be "foreign sourced" under an American name. Looking at your pix confirms this thought for me if indeed the ends of the rollers are turned down to match the holes in the retainer rings. I wouldn't use these even though you claim them original.

Go back to the one in the wrapper.

I'm not even sure anyone even makes a "Hyatt spiral type" bearing today.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 02-21-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote