Thread: BIG problem
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #16
Capt Kirk

Default Re: BIG problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I would take the plugs out and pull it through by hand. If it has a busted piston or a messed up rod bearing, you should be able to feel or hear something. If there is damage, it's already done. You can't hurt it any more than it already is turning it by hand. If it turns through two revolutions without any indication of a problem, I would try to do a leak down type compression test.

I like to at least have an idea what might be wrong before I tear into things. I've saved myself a lot of work this way in the past. If a rod let go it will usually damage the block and it will make a lot of noise flopping around in there. A bad bearing should have been knocking as it was shutting down.
I agree. Kinda what I was hinting around about. BUT...GM knows the sound he heard and he's no stranger to this stuff. If a rod or piston is gone, he knows that sound. I recommended pulling the heads which is easy on a flathead. If a piston is gone...question answered. If a rod is gone, that too can be answered. Pulling my engine would be a major ordeal and I would want to investigate before I did that. Maybe GM has the means to get an engine out lickity-split and it would be easier for him doing it this way. Not having heard the sound, there's probably 10 things I'd do before pulling the engine but that's just me and my work environment.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote