View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #38
Robert1936

Default Re: repairing rear axle housing bearing races..

Some of you blokes worry too much.

The sleeves from Macs Etc are ok to use BUT you must have someone do the job who understands Limits and Fits. I think the reason that they make them thick is to accommodate those Backyarders who are not good machinists and use an old lathe to get the required size on the axle "close enough" and then press them on.
If the interference fit is excessive it puts a lot of tension in the sleeve and it will split if its not thick enough.

For those who worry about "weakening the axle housing" have a look at the cross sectional area of the wishbone extension where the front and rear springs attach, it would take just as much loading as the axle housing and you end up with still a lot more metal on the housing after turning /grinding them down.

Incidentally the housing should be turned and finally ground to give a suitably smooth and round surface to press the sleeves onto. Grinding produces a smooth surface while a lathe must always leave small grooves where the cutting tool moves along the surface. I've been a machinist in an aircraft factory and college teacher for 45 years

If the sleeves are "out of round" they will round up again when pressed on. They must have been round when they were machined in the first place.

I've used them and they are excellent.
Robert1936
Robert1936 is offline   Reply With Quote