View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #148
GB SISSON

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

I got home last night about 9:30 in the dark. The interstate portion of the trip was but 26 miles according to google. I unscrewed the speedometer cable because it's so far off with the GM trans etc. I had a great trip, saw some of my old engine/tractor show buddies at the work party we had. Here are some details relating to the first trip to the land of 40 mph plus. According to the treatise I downloaded about the development of the onan L634 aka cummins 6AT, it was designed from the ground up to produce electricity all day long at 3600 rpms. It was tested and rated at being able to overspeed up to 5000 rpms at short intrervals with no damage. I covered the 26 miles of interstate in exactly 27 minutes running between 2700 and 2800 rpms for the most part. I ran at 3100 for a while and there was plenty left over. This evening I looked at the Spicer chart showing rpms at various speeds. The specs I typed into their calculator were the following.... rear axle ratio 4.86, tire diameter 34", speed 60 mph. Typing in other speeds I came up with these numbers. 58 mph= 2860 rpms, 63 mph=3026 rpms, 75 mph=3602rpms. At these higher speeds the truck accelerated well. It was at full boost and responded very well to the throttle. I stopped at 3100 which is about 64-65 because I didn't feel the rest of the vtruck was up to it. I had hoped to install seat belts before the trip but worked late the night before. Anyway, it was a great success and well liked at the work party. On the way home I met up with a guy from craigslist selling an onan 2 cyl miller welder which I unloaded today into my trailer of unknown origin that uses a tonner axle without the third member. 5 on 6 7/8 pattern. It was easy to find where I parked in the ferry line. I don't know how the others find theirs when the come out of the mall. EDIT: 16.85 mpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg at the rez.JPG (113.5 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg in the ferry line.JPG (81.2 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg welder trailer.JPG (158.4 KB, 296 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 08-09-2020 at 11:27 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote