View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #36
GOSFAST

Default Re: Let's build a drag race 8BA engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopRod View Post
GOSFAST, so do you make those for other people? It looks like the outer bolts are splayed towards the outside of the block. Very neat design!
Hi "Hop" (do you have a first name maybe), I don't plan making any more of those girdles, if you take the time I'm sure you can either do one OR get a "good" machine shop to fabricate it for you! The couple I did back then were both "hand-made", before we had use of the CNC. Might be a bit easier to do one on the mill now but I can't help at this time!

Here's the issue with "3-lb straps" (kidding of course with the weight) that straddle the main cap, they don't help with supporting one of the weakest areas (in my opinion) of the block, namely the section where the main bolts/studs reside, down below the main cap register? We're talking only the center main, this is where the most "crank-flexing" occurs!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I would also consider using a 52% bobweight (instead of the more conventional 50%) for a build that would more than likely be run constantly in a higher RPM band? This is just my own opinion here!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote