View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor charging system question

Finishing the 29 Tudor.

Today I started the engine and I noticed that the ammeter just stayed at zero. So I turned on the headlights so see if the ammeter moved--it didn't move at all.

The ammeter is new (probably only has a couple hours of running time). The ammeter has always shown a charge with the engine running but today it shows nothing-just sits at zero. I turned off the engine and turned on the headlights again--nothing-still zero. I gave it a gentle tap--nothing!

I started the engine again and took a voltage reading at the battery--6.65 volts. I took a reading at the generator output wire and it read 7.94 to 8.00 volts. I took another reading at the output post of the cutout--it read 6.65 volts.

I assume that the cutout is not working. It is also new (diode type) . (I had a fellow that worked at my auto repair shop and his quote was "New means NOT tested")

Can I bypass the cutout with a jumper wire-as a test to see if the cutout is bad? or do I need to just replace the cutout?