View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #25
G.M.

Default Re: Phenolic carb spacer...CAD drawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
They have one for the three bolt 94's and it works the same as a pheno spacer.
I did a lot of heat testing on the entire fuel system on several of my old Fords in 95 to over 100 degree days. Most tests were performed on about a 25 mile run at the same speeds on the same roads to our lunch destination. This also allowed me to take temperatures as soon as we stopped for lunch and 1/2 hour to 45 minutes later with the engine sitting while we ate. I tried an aluminum/insulated carb spacer similar to the coolcarb spacer and if anything it made the carb a little hotter. The air in the area of the intake manifold is at least 135 degrees on a 95 degree day so no hot air is going to be dispersed, infact it will attract heat. I did a Google coolcarb search and found Corvette owners found it didn't provide any help on their engines. The Ford fans don't provide air over the center of the engine, the air is directed toward the fenders. If the fan came down over the top of the engine it MAY work a LITTLE. On my tests I found Bob Shewmans 1/2" thick phenolic spacer with horizontal vent holes cooled the carb, I don't remember the exact number of degrees by it was very notable and stopped the boiling after shut down. The carb problem is mostly after shut down not running down the road. The real problem is in the fuel pump, below 55 MPH when the fuel remains to long in the 135 degree pump. Above 55 MPH there is enough fuel flowing through the pump to cool it. It starts at 55 MPH and will shut the engine down in slow traffic and stop signs. This new fuel boils at 125 degrees. Bob can be contacted at [email protected] G.M.