View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #17
alexiskai

Default Re: Ford Model A Camshaft Inspection and Evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I do want to ask the question, ...at what point is a content provider experienced enough to be a teacher? Is doing the same task on multiple vehicles enough to be able to speak of the various scenarios that someone might encounter? Should someone actually have completely restored their own vehicle with their own tools be necessary? I personally think so if it will be construed as a 'how-to' video where the intention is to give instruction to others.
It depends entirely on the context. I like it when creators are upfront about their limitations or the limited applicability of the technique they're demonstrating. In my seat belt video, I tried to be real clear about its one-off nature, how my car was missing certain braces in certain spots.

We can have this discussion about who should be considered an authority in the field, but it should also be noted that very few of the people that I think you would consider an authority (certainly none in the area of precision machining) are currently out there making Model A videos. The gatekeeper argument is a lot stronger if you can point to elder statesmen who are making the content already.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote