Thread: Uphill oil leak
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #36
mshmodela

Default Re: Uphill oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Keep the oil level halfway BETWEEN the "L" and "F" marks on the dipstick. The difference between that and at "F" is less than 1/2 quart, so you will not be starving the engine for oil. When the oil is at "F" on level ground, that's too high and when the car is parked on a steep incline with the nose of the car pointing uphill, the extra oil will be too much for the rear main "seal" (it's not a seal!) to hold back. So, the excess oil drips out. This is not a problem in Nebraska or Kansas, but it can play havoc in steep hills/mountain areas of our country. Try draining a little oil until you reach the halfway mark and then see if the leaking continues. There will still be residual oil back there from earlier steep incline parking, so don't expect the problem to go away immediately.
Marshall
Interesting, as a newbie Model A owner of 5 months, I changed my oil and naturally filled the car up to the "F" level. I noticed about a week or so later a stream of oil coming out the back of the pan.... My Driveway is about 10°... (on it's own after I turned the car off a 2-3 hours later the oil was.... just about 1/2 between L and F and that's where I keep it.. So far not more oil leaks (BIG STREAMS )... and that was in April..

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote