View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Alternator...Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
OK, what is the benefit of alt VS. gen?

What headlights can I run with the 6 volt positive ground Alternator?
spdway1,
On my sold '30 with a 30 amp alt. with built in regulator, advantages were: battery never overcharged or undercharged, headlights brighter, horn sounded better, it started quicker, No more of that RR-RR- RR, started quickly almost like 12 volt & I RARELY had to add battery water. The 30 AMP alternator was totally sufficient for my car. It once sat for 4 months without a cut- off switch or a trickle charger & a 6 year old battery & started as if it had been run just yesterday. That "BLOWS" the theory that a 1 wire alternator will "drain" your battery! Hope this helps. Also, I ran everything on a 30 amp GM blade type circuit breaker instead of those flimsy add on fuse holders with a 20 or a 30 amp fuse. I heard a friend ask his wife, "Honey, do you have another fuse in your purse?" Some try to run a 20 amp fuse in those, it ain't enough, takes a 30 amp, "SLOW-BLOW fuse! Some CHEAP fuses are defective. Some poster recently discovered some defective ones he bought at Harbor Freight, after spending lots of time tryin' to find where his loss of power was! Sorry I type so looong, just tryin' to help. Always remember that a cheap test light is your "BEST FRIEND" Second only to your Dog! Bill W. (Same alternator WILL run Halogen bulbs well)