View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #18
Dave in MN

Default Re: Pressurized Radiator

I have two Model A's with 4# pressurized systems. With leakless pumps and the sealed expansion tanks, I seldom need to add water. Seldom means seasonally. I run both of these engines at highway and freeway speeds often. Before I updated the system on the Phaeton, I was constantly adding water. It was likely a combination of too much water through the pump, restriction from the radiator or combo of both. I was also getting close to the boiling point during a hard run or very hot day. Obviously, no issues now with either engine/car.

The two overflow tank locations I chose are shown below. I like the radiator mounted location the best. There are many other spots to mount them. Just look for available space, think about the routing of the coolant hose and how to secure the tank in its location.

The photo on the left is of the '29 Phaeton we have with 98,000+ miles on since installing the engine, pressurized radiator and Mitchell overdrive. The expansion tank/tube is mounted to the firewall. Great car to tour with.

Photo on the right is a Serr Miller Hi-Speed head on a brand new Burtz engine(#7 of the first batch). 4,800 trouble free miles on this one since early summer. Lots of power to pull a camper while touring. The expansion tank/tube is fastened to the lower radiator to shell fastener and one additional location on the shell above it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firewall tank.jpg (85.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Radiator shell tank.jpg (105.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg A Camper and '31 cropped resized.jpg (52.7 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 09-16-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote