View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #18
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Putting model a on lift

I am NOT an engineer (not by a long shot) and am relatively new to model A's, but I THINK I have a working understanding of the engineering that Henry Ford (or was it Edsel?) put into the design of the model A and Where Jack Shaft is coming from. The "strength" of the model A comes from the triangulation of the radius rods and axles as well as the torque tube/trans/engine. This is what gives the "A" it's diagonal strength (keeps everything square). However, I have given this a lot of thought ( and studied my own "A" that is sitting on my 2 post lift, lifted by the frame as I write this and still fail to see the relevance of this triangulated chassis strength as it would relate to the vertical pressures when lifting the car by the frame. No matter how i look at it, the entire weight of the body is being supported by the front and rear cross member ONLY. That weight is transferred to the frame rails at the cross member points and as such, I fail to understand how supporting the weight from where the cross members attach to the frame rails is functionally stronger than supporting it from four solid points inboard of the two cross members. In fact, where the fame is free to flex when only REALLY supported by 2 central points (front spring mount and rear spring mount) it is held relatively rigid when lifted from 4. Anyway, like I said, I am NOT an engineer so I may be WAY off here but I have yet to figure out how the triangulated strength designed into the chassis has any relevance to lifting vertically. Opinion subject to change pending compelling arguments to the contrary.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote