View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
bdtutton

Default New Front Wheel Bearings

Hello,
First I would like to thank all the great people that answer questions on this forum. I don't personally know any other people in my area with Model As.

When I bought my 1930 Tudor I found that I was unable to remove the inner front wheel bearings from the spindles. I was able to force enough grease into the bearing to make it work for the short term, but I decided to change the bearings and races to make things right. I bought new Timken bearings and races and all seemed to go well until I tried to push the bearings on the spindles.

The reason I could not pull the old bearings off is because the previous owner had peened the spindle to make the inner bearings fit tight. The only way I would have been able to get the new inner bearings on would be to hammer them onto the spindle. I decided to take a little emory cloth and sand down the peening on the spindle. I can now push the bearings on, but I am almost worried that the bearings are too loose.

Here is my question....how tight should the inner bearing be on the spindle? I know I need to be able to pull them on and off the spindle, but I don't want it to be too loose. I can't find info on this....can anyone help?

Thank you....
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote