View Single Post
Old 06-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #33
bavArian

Default Re: Can't separate axle shaft from carrier

Update:

My bad luck seems to continue. The diff-carrier John sent me has 2 differences to the old one:

A) The raised parts on the flange that center the two halves are missing.

B) The outer diameter of the carrier where the ring gear slides on is significantly smaller than that of the old part. On the old carrier, measurement (a) is roughly 104.9 mm / 4.125", the new carrier only has 98.3 mm / 3-7/8". So there's a big gap between ring gear and diff carrier.

Difference A shouldn't be a big problem because centering the two halves with the spider should work.Difference B on the other hand IS a problem. The ring gear can't be centered, which I assume is necessary for it to work for more than 50 miles. Were there two different ring-gear IDs? The parts are both marked as A-4205-B.

I've turned down the bearing surface of the old carrier half to be able to insert the new axle. (pic attached)
There is some play between axle and carrier, I'd say around twice as much as with the other, not worn carrier half and that same new axle.

I'm hesitating to use the old carrier with the new axle though because I fear that the old carrier will damage the axle surface.

So my only real option is to get a matching diff carrier with the proper outer diameter for the ring gear, correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old carrier half.jpg (205.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg new carrier half.jpg (195.8 KB, 23 views)
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote