View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
Hi there, I enjoyed your story. I’ve always thought that cropdusting would be a real hoot, and I’ve never talked with someone who did it as a profession.

I grew up in Oregon in the Pacific northwestern part of the US. There weren’t a lot of people in this state back then and we still aren’t densely populated. Lots of open land and more than a few cropdusters.

My model A stories start over 60 years ago when I was 13. My first car was a 1931 coupe that I bought for $25. That car didn’t have a dent in it, and really didn’t need restoration. I took it apart anyway and learned about every nut and bolt in that car. My love of cars really started with that coupe, and I’ll never forget it. That car taught me how to drive in every condition you can think of, and I owe my love of driving to that first coupe.

I consider myself so fortunate that I grew up in a time when model A’s were a dime a dozen. I miss those times when a simple drive could result in finding a model A hidden in a berry patch or sitting in a barn. All those drives were like treasure hunts for me, and man did I find a lot of treasure. My folks allowed me to have one car at a time. So, when one was up and running, I’d sell it and get another. That love of those old model A’s kept me out of trouble. I don’t even want to imagine the trouble I would have gotten into if it hadn’t been for those cars.

Give Woofa a pet for me,

Mike

hi Mike. that's a good story too. you were so lucky to get access to such a large amount of A's.
I've been to Klamath Falls in your state. I had a cropdusting mate at Williams Cal who flew me up there and on to Walla Walla. Sadly prostate took him. He survived 2 Viet Nam tours as helicopter pilot and years of cropdusting to be taken out with health issue.

I was impressed at Klamath because the military were able to operate with airliners, light aircraft and cropdusters. The military here think they are above all others and it is below their dignity to mix with other 'lowly' types. shame.

Thanks for your response, cheers, gary
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote