View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #40
gilitos

Default Re: Why did this rod fail?

Well, Herm, I'm sorry you got drug into this. I didn't mention your name on purpose and I had no intention to do so. Your work was gorgeous and these problems had nothing to do with your work. My problem started when another crack appeared in the block after I got it back from you. I would have much preferred to send it back to you and Vern to take care of it, but shipping costs to Iowa and the presence of a local 'professional' antique engine repair place here overcame my better judgement. How could a crack repair be so difficult? Well, it turned out that it was for them. The motor went back to that shop twice for repair of the same crack problem (after the first time, the valve seat popped out in a few miles). I got it back from that shop the second time and the rod bearing went out. Personally I don't believe that the oil pump was reinstalled correctly. It's okay, I'm only out about $6000 at this point.

I want to reiterate to everyone that the quality of Herm and Vern's work, and the communication, and the service, was the best I have seen. I believe that my problems came from the shop I went to (twice) for crack repair.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote