View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Model B oil pan modification

Yes, Jim Brierley, it was you specifically I had in mind when I mentioned the fortunate few I know who have had good luck with B blocks. I remember us discussing this very issue at a past Picacho Peak Hillclimb event. You are at one end of the spectrum of satisfied B block owners, while I and probably the majority of past B block victims are at the other end. I never met a B block I liked, or one that liked me. Even a low mileage B block I acquired with less than 20,000 miles on it developed that four-inch crack above the middle bearing saddle I alluded to in my previous post. It cost me $800 at a diesel engine repair shop to get repaired 15 years ago. Yikes!!! What's a guy gotta do just to get a B block that isn't, or won't, eventually crack??? Nothing but bad, BAD experiences on my part with those crack-prone blocks. Some of yours surely must have been the slightly better diamond blocks? If they were all factory B blocks that didn't crack, you are indeed watched over by the angels.

I recently got back an acquaintance's rebuilt B diamond block from a well-known and highly respected Midwest engine builder, who essentially told me to please not bring him any more B blocks for rebuilding. He hates them, too. He was barely able - with the grace of the heavens and decades of experience - to save this particular B block despite its many problems. It is a diamond B block, otherwise he said he wouldn't have touched it.

I envy you, Jim, for your continued good fortune with B blocks, something that has eluded me. That's your 100% positive experience with them. Mine has been 100% negative, so I gotta go with those experiences and advise people to learn from my misfortune and lost dollars buying and repairing them. Here's hoping your luck holds out - at 160mph. I'd settle for no cracks just driving to McDonald's and back.

I hope you're feeling better these days? Don't scare us with those health issues again!

Marshall, sadder, but no wiser
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote