View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #14
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Model B oil pan modification

"Trend to get away from B engine installation in model A . Why? "

#1 reason is because "B" blocks crack so easily, mostly in the exhaust valve area, although one I owned actually developed a four-inch crack over the center main saddle! $$$$$$$$$$ Model B blocks were weak from the git-go and have only gotten worse with time and use. Model A and B blocks may weigh close to the same, but the B block got heavier and beefier at the bottom end to accommodate the bigger crankshaft, sacrificing strength up top. I'll NEVER run another B block as long as I live from too much expensive and frustrating experience with three B blocks that always needed to be repaired. Why not use the good parts from a B engine (crankshaft with counterweights, connecting rods, camshaft, flywheel, MAYBE the cylinder head [although more efficient heads are now available], intake manifold and carb) to achieve more horsepower, smoothness and reliability by putting them in a much tougher Model A block? I, for one, am glad to see the Model B engine craze dying out, if that is what's happening. This craze began to become an obsession in the 1970's in the Model A community, mostly in California. Model B this and Model B that was THE way to go for the touring crowd. People have since learned through hard and expensive experience that a Model B engine ain't all that great. Those of you who have uncracked Model B engines should thank your lucky stars. You are among the very few, who have not suffered the inevitable Crack City syndrome - yet. Your time is coming. Aftermarket diamond block Model B engines are better than their factory predecessors, but even they can develop cracks. Why take a chance?

#2 reason may be that our Model A's are more authentic and presumably worth more money if the correct engine is in place. The external differences between the two engines are slight, but still detectable, mainly by the fuel pump boss and lack of Model A engine stamp numbers on the pad beneath the cylinder head. The cylinder head differences are another give-away. If I were to spend $35,000+ on a Deluxe Phaeton or A-400, I'd darned sure want the correct Model A engine to be present, preferably the one that came with it from the factory. That filters down to the more common and less expensive Model A body styles, too. Having the correct Model A engine in your car instead of a Model B eliminates one possible ding to be leveraged by potential buyers to knock down the price, now or down the road when our heirs go to sell these cars.

There may be a #3 reason, but the first two should more than explain the trend away from using Model B engines in our Model A's. Keep the internal goodies from a B block for adaption into a Model A block, but save yourself time, money and frustration by using that factory B block as the proverbial boat anchor or shop door stop. Compromising the Model B block was NOT one of Ford's better ideas by a long shot!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote