View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
30cabriolet

Default Replacing door wood in a 68B Cabriolet

I have been putting it off for months and now it is finally time to replace the wood in both doors of my Cabriolet. Cabriolet doors are the same as for the Briggs Fordor, they just have the tops and rear of the window cut off. Originally the wood was assembled first in a jig and then the door skin was attached last. This procedure causes the screws at the front of the door to be installed from the outside in and makes it difficult to install new wood. I am using a kit from Classic Wood.

The only original wood in good shape is the horizontal piece at the top, but I can not install the rear door post wood without first removing the horizontal piece due to a mortice and tenon joint at the rear. What is the best way to start? I figure that I have 3 choices:
1. I could cut the original horizontal piece someplace in the middle(leaving the front attached) and create a lap joint to join the new wood to.
2. I could cut a slot into the mortice of the door post wood to allow me to slide the post up into the original tenon of the horizontal wood. This will only work if the original tenon is the same size as the new mortice.
3. Remove the horizontal piece completely and install all new wood. If I choose this option, then I need to figure out how to remove the front two screws that are installed from the outside in. I might be able to drill them out, but then how do I install the new screws?

Any thoughts?
30cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote