View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Removing glass from '35-'36 windshield frame

The suggestions you folks gave me for removing glass from a '35-'36 windshield frame were brilliant!! I sprayed liberal amounts of PB Blaster where glass meets frame on both sides, where frame halves are joined together with bars and screws, and also around the 77 year old outer sealing gasket. I let that soak for 24 hours and repeated this again with another application of PB and let that soak for another 12 hours. Took a single edge razor blade and ran that between the glass and the frame as deep as it would go into the old setting tape. Removed all the screws with the help of a hand held impact driver. Placed the wooden block on the inside glass surface, against the bottom of the frame where the curve section starts to run straight and began lightly hammered on the block with a rubber hammer. After about 1/16" of separation between those halves, I went to the other side of the frame and did the same thing. After getting some separation on the other side, I kept going back and forth on each side until I got complete separation of the frame from the glass. The glass is intact and looks like it will make a nice pattern for cutting new glass. Next step will be cleaning out the inner and outer channels of the frame and getting it ready for reassembly.

Attached are a few pictures. The first picture shows the fogged condition of the glass that's in the car now. The second and third pictures show the spare frame that I have (also with fogged and cracked glass) after getting it apart.

Thanks again for all the great tips!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote