View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #30
callcoy

Default Re: Model A Air conditioning

Joe;
The kits available are from my experience are excellent units in both operation and installation. I have sold and installed many after market units including numerous dual units. If you are mechanically minded you may be interested in the unit I have assembled from previously used componets. I too have an "A" with a fuel tank that has been opened at the bottom and love a challenge.

With my experience of installing A/C kits over the last 25-30 years, I decided to build my own system. My goal was to create a functional and dependable cooling system, at a discount price. At various swap meets I picked up a condenser and a under dash unit from a 64-66 Mustang and a friend donated a Sanden/Sanyo 500 series compressor.

In order to enjoy our Panel Delivery in hot and cold conditions I decided to also include a heating feature to my conversion and added a heater core to the under dash unit. In order to fit this into the space formally occupied by gasoline, I flipped it upside down and built a new plenum to house the heater core and directional outlets. While I was at it, I designed an additional heater core for the rear of the truck, the truck has approx. 140 cubic feet of space.

One of my goals was to make the unit disappear from causal viewers, I didn't want it to stick from under the dash. But on the other hand it has to function well. I also wanted to seal off the incoming hoses so I didn,t have hot or cold air coming in around the hoses. This requires about 3 times the hose fittings, which makes that portion the most expensive part of the over all cost.

I am not going to state what this system has cost as some individuals will say that I am less then truthfull. However if this is something that you may interested in, I will email you photos of what I have done. I don't have a problem with things mechanical or electrical, but I will be darned if I can posted photos here.

Steve - Santa Rosa