View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 05:43 AM   #11
Paul Bennett

Default Re: Cloth wiring options

I am an advocate of the 'spend a bit more to get a lot more quality' school. In this case, aircraft wire is performance certified and 5 years down the line you won't be repairing it again - buy from this aircraft supplier. Most available generic wire is stiff becase cheap copper is used, the copper is not 'tinned' for ease of solderability, especially a few years away, non-soldered and the unknown insulation may have pin holes and likely also stiff. Plus the plastic wall is a far superior tough thin wall to ordinary plastic wire. The aircraft certified wire is superior in all respects. But for us, it's easier to install and won't require future repairs.

One gets this good stuff at https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/wire.html
Otherwise known as Spruce Aircraft. I have bough fire extinguishers for a sport car back in the day when regs disallowed an aircraft FE in a car and they had to ship by special transportation. As I and they are both in Oregon (main office however is Atlanta) circumventing transport problems.

The only issue I have and I anticipate you will as well, cost will dictate your purchase of white wire. They generally mark white wire with black ink making the identification easy. It is available in colors but then you need to anticipate color/length/gauge which gets spendy to cover the unknown requirements of a job. Bottom line-spend time estimating your needs.

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 01-09-2021 at 06:14 AM.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote