View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #37
Jim Huseby

Default Re: Interesting read in Hemmings about restoration costs.

Excellent, well-informed article. Thanks for starting this excellent thread. But to tell all about restoration the article would have to be so long it would take ten years to read; the same amount of time it takes to start to become a proficient restorer IF that restorer is dedicated to reading, researching, intense self-training and practice for at least two hours per day on his own time every day, with a consuming passion for excellence and honesty(Then it becomes a consuming life-long habit that can't be broken). The message on cost of a restoration is not arguable for the kind of quality necessary, mentioning a minimum of $125,000.00 and going much higher as skilled hours, parts, materials and specialties dictate for each project. 'Good article; I'm not putting it down at all by mentioning that I never put a "sealer" over stripped or blasted bare metal. I always clean the bare metal with a phosphoric acid solution, then prime it with an acid wash primer, then seal that with epoxy primer. Another difference I have with the good author is that I have never seen, in 46 years of professional restoration pitted rust successfully removed by "sanding" unless it is a small part that is thick enough to lose .010" or more of its thickness without weakening it and the customer can afford the inefficiency. 'Lots of good comments on this thread.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote