Thread: Klein Tools
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2024, 10:36 AM   #12
johnneilson

Default Re: Klein Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
For a few dollars more you could get a Kaiweets HT208D, which has more features, such as indirect DC amperage, and higher current tolerance.
If used correctly the DC indirect amperage can be nice, but reminds me of a job some years ago. A major distribution center, I had just installed an auto scanning manifesting system. It used a PLC and several sensors DC so there was a ton of 24vdc wiring in the system. One of the "Techs" called me and informed me the protection circuit breakers were passing 20 amps thru a 5 amp breaker. I had to see this, design was 50% loading so 2-3 would have been acceptable. Upon arrival he showed me his induction amp meter was showing 20 amps when testing a single breaker. I used a direct reading meter across the breaker and then turning off the breaker it was 2 amps.
The reality was that the indirect would show 17 amps when tested a foot outside the cabinet without and lead thru the current loop.

Technology is great if applied correctly, those inexpensive meters are not acceptable for precise work. They are great for the Model A especially if you pack it in the car.

J