View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 08:15 AM   #12
Joe K

Default Re: Best Source For B Motor Parts

Johnneilson - thank you for your "Model A world" take on this. My first word was "technically" - and your real world examples were all cases where the technical had somehow been challenged.

My experience with spun/blow out was the 12 Gloucester, MA EMD stationary diesel-generators - which suffered more from creep of the engine block (the foundation of a containerized railroad diesel tends to move around) which we could tell by "measuring the webs" (i.e. rolling the crank and measuring web distance at 180 degrees apart.) For these, a technical challenge presented by their container design. To include tear down within the confines of the container. Air impact wrenches are God's gift to diesel mechanics.

My parting shot on the diesels was moving two of them to the Island of Nantucket - where they served as a landed back-up to the underwater sea cable connecting the island to the mainland grid. I understand that even these have now been scrapped in favor of a "large battery" backup installation.

My last word was "size" - and you closed similarly. Almost into "fine minds think alike."

And yes, nothing magical.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 02-22-2024 at 08:21 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote