View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
hardtimes

Default Re: Traditional fuel system for duel carbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Just because you consider it ugly has nothing to do with it being period correct! It was the in thing at the time.

Modern taste and period correct are two totally different things. I'm currently setting up a 33 5w for one of my sons and we want it to be mid-50s style and that is what it is going to be!!
Regarding 'red fuel line' and 'neoprene clear' fuel line use.
I've never used the 'clear' neoprene line and wouldn't for fear of same thing happening to me, as what happened with 'ruby red' line. Unless it was made differently back when, I wonder how many back then, had same cracking/disintergrating as with what product is available now ?

Darn near burned my ride down, after only being in service for few months.
Cruising down main street when smelled/saw a tiny stream of gas pissing above cowl (no windshield made it easy to see). Gas on the face made it easy to taste ! Shut engine down (emer shutoff switch). Pulled to curb and saw that entire right side of engine was covered in gas, with smoke (evap gas) coming off of hot header.
Close exam of 'ruby red' hose revealed two things; all hose had cracks throughout; the 'ruby red' color had turned to an ugly pale pink yellowish color. I figured that it is true that is, it takes a spark to start a fire. The master shut off saved me misery ! It sure looked bitchin while new tho

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-04-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: ..................
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote