Thread: Lion Speed Head
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
CHARLIE YAPP

Default Re: Lion Speed Head

Charlie Yapp here; Thanks to exactly 47 men (so far) that have given me the heads up on the spirited comments made by Brent Terry on this important and informative board. Terry misused it as a propaganda Board. I have only met Brent once and found him to be a Model A man from the git go. However, his misinformed attitude about my Lion Speed Head is devastating to say the least.

Brent has his way of adding to our hobby by investing in his goodwill to teach others at his shop how to restore Model A Fords and we all would applaud his dedication to the hobby.

My telephone, email and home are open 24/7 to those with questions about my line of over 500 + speed products for Model A’s. I hide nothing and share as much as I can. I made these parts for you guys to have fun. . . I feel horrible that he has an unfair attitude and broadcasts it in a forum that should be for the truth and not prejudice. I can be contacted at [email protected]

Why would I produce over 500 different speed parts that didn’t work well? My heads have been dyno’d and so far nothing ever mass produced - so far - has more HP, torque and potential as the Lions. Please go to this site for more information
http://www.modelaparts.net/dynosheets.htm/lionstk.htm

Let me address the spark plug position: When I reproduced the Riley Two Port (1st version) it had the plugs on the driver’s side and was a casting nightmare to make. With tremendous trial and tribulation, thousands of dollars spent and 2-1/2 year of research we finally succeeded and to date, so far, I have shipped 715 reliable, dependable units. Historical records show that the Riley Two Port 1st version beat all other versions of the Riley 2 port.

The technology and impressive performance of spark plugs on the driver’s side has become a one of my trademarks . . . an identifier . . if you will. You will find all my heads (Lion, Lizard, Riley, Roof) have this positive characteristic . . . and each is heavy by design not by mistake.
In the Lion 1st version, many guys asked if it wouldn’t be possible to have 8 spark plugs . . hey why not . . double the fun. On later versions of the Lion I dropped the 4 plugs over the valves because . . they did not make as much HP as the driver’s side.

I have sold over 1000 of these heads. Yes, as in all undertakings, there have been minor issues, about .5%, that have been corrected, fixed or replaced. . . I stand behind my products.

The weight issue . . .It is the weight (stupid) that makes this head so smooth running and powerful. It also makes it possible for the experimenter to remove metal and reshape the chambers. Yes, it is heavy and if Terry makes a choice to use it as a boat anchor, I would think that to be a very bad choice. . . but as Terry is one of the "banger Boys" I guess that is what he will do . . . For more on the "Banger Boys" get the April issues of Secrets Magazine.

The Lion presently sells for $555 and that should be in Terry’s favor if and when he chooses to sell it. Due to a serious bankruptcy we lost our machine shop and I’m struggling to get these heads back online. They should be available this winter with a new chamber (so you can use bigger valve with out modification) and an 8 plug aluminum version V.

Allow me to correct Terry about aluminum heads: they rot from electrolysis, do not hold heat properly, pound for pound feature for feature they do not make the same HP as an identical cast iron version and they have reduced total spark advance characteristics. They do weight less and they polish nicely.

My mom always said, "fool’s names in foolish places". That was in an age without internet. By expressing his poor judgement on this wall in broadens the damage to his reputation and to mine without recourse. It not good, fair or honest to be an spokesman for our community of Ford enthusiasts with the mean spirited B.S that comes from Mr. Terry.

One guy said I should sue him. I don’t do that but a apology is in order.
Sincerely,
Charlie Yapp
Yapp Studios, Inc
3860 Cain Run Rd
Batavia OH 45103
513-724-0700
[email protected]
CHARLIE YAPP is offline   Reply With Quote