Thread: Water Pump
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Bud

Default Water Pump

I know the whole cooling system issue is broad and has been discussed many times. I looked recently for specifically how most rebuild their standard water pumps. I could not find much because it is buried under all the other cooling issues. What I do is set the end float on the water pump shaft to as low as I can get it (near zero), with the pump fasteners tightened. This keeps the shaft end float from reaming the packing out during running. I have run mostly water with rust inhibitor. I use the standard front bearing. I also run a plastic 6 blade fan. I have had no leaks and no problems. Please comment on how you set up your water pump. Please avoid a discussion on coolants (this is well documented in other threads). Please also not go into the various fan blade options as this has been discussed before. I know one can buy various leakless setups too, but I have never been confident of those designs myself. I am mainly interested in how you rebuild a standard water pump, i.e., what shaft you use, what end float you set, how you set it, and so forth. Thanks.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote