Thread: Insert bearings
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #32
Synchro909

Default Re: Insert bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Could I suggest making this run using a GPS to record the speed? Using a stopwatch and hiway mile posts leaves a lot of room for potential error. After working for AZ DOT for 27+ years I know mile posts are not accurate!
A run in both directions will compensate for any downhill effect (a slight grade is not always noticed). A cellphone shot of the GPS screen for posterity, too!
While all of that might be so, it is clear that he was doing a high speed - too high for my liking.
Back to the OP, I've run inserts for tens of thousands of hard miles towing a camper) without trouble. As for inserts only being available in 0.010" increments, I agree, that is a big minus. Maybe vendors would be well advised to offer them in 0.005" increments.
When i was in my early teens, I remember my father working on the engine in his Austin daily driver to work. For the bearings, he interchanged top and bottom shells and took up the excess clearance by putting cigarette papers under the non load bearing shell. Each paper reduced the clearance by about 0.001". I've heard of the same being done with aluminium foil or thin brass shim. That motor went for years until my sister got her licence and travelled too fast for too many miles when it put a leg out of bed. I haven't completely dismissed doing similar in my A engine - packing the bearings, that is.