View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #18
Dirtrack49

Default Re: Tractor Supply Coil

goodcar,

I had a problem about a year ago where everything would be running fine and the engine would die all of a sudden.
At first, I thought it was my pigtail wire going from the points to the lower plate grounding out. However, I would drive the car for several miles or just a few, and it would die for no apparent reason. I could come back to it the next day and it would start up and run fine. Made me crazy until the last time it died, I reached over and touched the coil, it was really hot.
Ended up replacing the coil with a Pertronix Flame Thrower, ran great for the next 500 miles and again the engine quit.
Went through the electrical and ignition check list and I am not getting any voltage at the coil at the red wire with it connected or not. That tells me that I might have another coil problem. The old coil that the PO put on was oil filled. Had it mounted upside down. Pretty sure that was what was overheating the coil. I had thought that replacing it with an epoxy coil would solve my problem, but now I am wondering if the Pertronix shot crapps.

Purdy, were you the one who said it could also be my condenser?

Tom L.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote