View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #17
goodcar

Default Re: Tractor Supply Coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
So did you find out why your car would not start? You replaced your coil because it wouldn't start. Your car would not start with the new coil. You went back to the original coil and your car started.

Have you determined why it would not with the original coil?
Good question. No I have not determined why the car suddenly started running poorly and then died. Car has rebuilt engine with 5.5 head, 75 psi compression. When trying to restart the warm engine I think the starter was dragging down the voltage enough that the spark was too weak. I think this was due to poor battery to engine connection via the frame. As I mentioned in my original post this problem was discovered when the wiper tube from the intake manifold was getting warm when cranking the engine. The car is a '31 with the bare strap cable from the battery to the frame. I have since installed a bonding cable from the engine to the frame. Before I venture too far from home I will carry a known good coil and condenser in case the ones I'm using are intermittent. Unfortunately intermittent problems don't fix themselves, they keep returning.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote