View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1957 Thunderbird Heater Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55blacktie View Post
You can eliminate the vacuum-controlled heater valve and replace it with a mechanical valve. The conversion kit costs less than $100 and is offered by most T-bird parts vendors. I've seen both plastic and metal mechanical control valves, but can't say which is better. You can probably find something similar at your local auto parts store, and it will be cheaper. Unless I'm missing something, dmsfrr's 90-degree elbows will eliminate your heater and defroster, unless he, too, converted to the mechanical valve, which would be located closer to the firewall, not on the engine.
The open elbow replaces the oem style coolant control valve. Coolant circulates thru the heater core continuously. As opposed to being able to shut it off with the oem style valve or one of the after-market conversion kits.

The heater box in my running car has the heated-air vents closed, but I'm not sure how much heat it's actually keeping out of the car during the summer.
I did buy one of the heater valve conversion kits for the disassembled car, hoping it will be a convenient solution.
https://www.classictbird.com/Manual-...tinfo/18495MK/

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-20-2021 at 11:20 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote