View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
DNLs1930

Default Coil or condenser over heat

First on the road failure...

Out for a drive today and about 15 miles in (some traffic) the car lost power sputter a little and then the engine shut off. I tinkered with the GAV because I thought maybe it was the issue (never changed the setting from start) and after we were parked a few minutes the car restarted and ran for about 2 miles or so and died again. Dropped the clutch and refired with a very (not) nice loud backfire ran for a little while and then died for good. pulled over near a conveniently located parts store and started looking at the spark.

VERY WEAK spark and then no spark... Coil was my first guess.

NO 6v coil in stock... Time for a tow? Almost; car sat for about 20 min and fired right up at which time I turned tail for home which was about 20 miles away.

Made it through town and out on the service roads about 10 miles and poof dead... called for a tow assist from a friend and while we waited the car started a few times and we beet feet towards home but came up short by about 5 miles.

Tow went well and upon arrival at the house the car started right up and I pulled in the garage with no more issues.

SO

Coil or condenser? Still think it is the coil.

Is this a classic example of a coil or condenser failure? Or both?

I had a spare condenser and points and have a few (rookie) questions about those I will address later.

Appreciate all the help and knowledge (in advance)
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote