View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Drive Shaft Coupler

Rob, I will email you some articles that I have on rebuilding these early Ford banjo rears and also call you to discuss this as well.

I recently went through a complete rebuild and gear ratio change on my '35 fordor sedan (Avatar). I took step by step pictures during this rebuild, planning to do a writeup to go along with these pictures, but who knows when this writeup will be finished. This rebuild used an original matched number set of 3.54, 10 spline pinion gears, so no change was necessary to the rear splines of a stock '35-'38 hollow tube type drive shaft.

I am getting ready to completely rebuild another '35 rear using an original matched number set of 3.54, 6 spline pinion gears, because I don't have another 10 spline set of that ratio. In this rebuild I have decided NOT to go the route of modifing a stock hollow tube drive shaft by welding in a six spline adaptor/coupling in place of the 10 splines. What I am planning to do is use a solid type '37 to '41, pn 68-4605-B, drive shaft with a 6/6 spline original Ford coupler that's pinned in place, and a '37 to '41 center bearing torque tube with a Skip Haney replacement center bearing. This will all bolt up and look totally original except for having a zerk grease fitting located on the outside center of the torque tube. I am thinking/hoping this will avoid the pitfalls of having a tube type drive shaft modified, that could windup being problematic like the one you have, and others I know who have had the same thing happen

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-22-2016 at 08:22 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote