Thread: Routing wires
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
19Fordy

Default Re: Routing wires

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
On my 40 coupe the wires for the headlights, dimmer switch and horn relay all come out at the top of the firewall inside the black cloth covered wiring harness which then goes into the top opening of the kidney shaped wire loom cover lower down on the firewall. From that kidney shaped cover one branch of the harness comes out and goes across the firewall towards the passenger side of the car where it attaches to the engines electrical, starting solenoid, etc. Another branch of the wiring harness exits the bottom of the kidney shaped cover, runs down the firewall to the top of the frame. Those wires feed the headlight wiring harness, the horn relay and the dimmer switch. So, at the point where those wires meet the top of the left frame rail the dimmer switch wires tuck back behind the cowl under the floorboard and attach to the dimmer switch. Keep them away from the clutch pedal. The horn wire goes forward along the top of the left frame rail and attaches to the horn relay. The headlight wiring harness keeps going forward along the top of the left frame rail and then comes up the fender panel and exits to the headlights. That harness then also connect to the wires from the right headlight. On the original 40 ford those headlight wires ran along the top of the radiator core inside a metal channel with bendable tangs to keep them away from the fan blade. I ran my headlight wires in front of the radiator so I don't have the correct photos. Make sure to keep your wires from any hot metal areas or moving parts areas, like the exhausts ,clutch and brake pedals and linkages. Also you will find you won't have so much excess wire. Click on pics to enlarge. In the photos I have wrapped the wiring harness that runs along the top left frame rail with black electrical tape. My car has been converted to 12V so the wires on the voltage regulator are different than the stock 40. My voltage regulator does not work as I use an alternator. That black metal cover on the frame rail hides the horn relay. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3425B.jpg (53.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3413B.jpg (63.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3420B.jpg (66.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3421B.jpg (67.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3422B.jpg (58.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3426.jpg (66.6 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote