View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
cabrioletgalaxie

Exclamation hunting a ghost problem in my '47

Problems with my '47 continue. You guys have been very helpful with all my questions and with some of the suggestions I have solved a few issues. However they still continue on an intermittent basis. Hence I have begun to call it a ghost problem.
A little history. The car has had a fuel problem and I am on my 2nd fuel pump. I didn't think I was getting enough fuel but with a pressure tester I found that I did. I found a small piece of metal in the gross jet and upon removing it the car would idle well. Carb of course has been rebuilt, gas tank replaced, fuel line blown out, in line fuel filter installed which has taken out a few pieces of junk from the new gas tank.
Car starts and runs most of the time. Sometimes it was hard to start. I found I was probably over choking. Changed my habits and it improved but still turned over slowly. I found my ammeter was not moving with fast idle or with light on.
Checked the voltage regulator and found the points on the cut out portion of it weren't closing. When I manually closed them the ammeter worked. These points are non adjustable but I did slightly bend the spring. This seemed to help but intermittently. So I ordered a regulator.
I still had slow cranking even with a freshly charged battery. I found the Neg terminal on the battery was getting hot. Checked and and found there was a 1/3 volt drop between the terminal and 1" down the cable. Corrosion I thought so I replaced the cable and there was no heat in the terminal and no more voltage drop and now the engine cranked faster.
I decided the car was ready again for a test drive so my wife and I got in and drove a 1/2 mile from the house and the car began to buck and lose power when I was going up a slight incline in 1st gear. So I tuned around and headed home, trying to make it back up the other side of the incline. But it died. Several times trying to restart the car it would fire, run badly and not sustain itself. I thought it might be a gas issue so I choked it a bit, even though it was warm, pumped the accelerator. This did not help. I took the gas cap off, and still no change.
A couple guys stopped and we pushed it up the incline and down the other side to a flat spot. Still it wouldn't start and sustain itself. So with less than a a 1/2 mile from home I called a tow truck.
Upon getting home I tried again to start it and had the same issues. It would fire and run badly for a few seconds and die. I thought maybe vapor lock but here in Maine this time of year it isn't that hot.
Today I went out to lry it again. It fired and ran fine. Since the new voltage regulator arrived today I decided to change it and polarized it.
So I let it on a fast idle for 25 minutes and it still ran well. I drove it up and down my driveway several times and still it ran well.
I am at a loss at this point. I've broken down with the car 3 times and had it towed twice. My wife is not happy. I am not happy.
My only hope is that it was an intermittent voltage regulator problem and by changing it I have fixed the problem. But since I have not found a smoking gun I am hesitant to drive it again unless I have the tow company on speed dial.
The old voltage regulator seemed just that, old. But I do not know if these devices can have this sort of intermittent problems. After all, this morning the car started right up and ran on the old unit.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote