View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 04:32 AM   #28
RKS.PA

Default Re: Use of a MIG welder for other purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Not sure how many have first hand experience shorting out batteries. When I was in the military I got the brilliant idea of touching a large wrench across a 24 volt battery. It blow a hole about the size of a nickel out of it! I learn a lot of things the hard way (as in the stupid way). On a race car in the early 60s only the ignition was connected to a 12 volt battery (push start car). We were hooking up a single tail light late one evening at the track. I got under the car and was just going to twist two wires together with my hand. Well it ending up being a short to ground and instantly melted the wires into my finger! Learned a number of lessons on that one and a respect for batteries. As a side note, the stories about how you can't change your finger print are dead wrong, mine was parentally changed that night!! So anytime I need remained about batteries all I have to do is look at my right index finger. I tend to be a slow learner on some things, but at least I end up to good reminders.

In the "I tend to be a slow learner" department, I have a galvanized metal sheet on my workbench top. Turned a 6 volt Optima upside down on the bench.....YIKES!!! No bodily injury, melted the posts, and $180 absolutely wasted!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote