View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
shew01

Default Re: Dipstick for Tremec T170 Transmission

That’s the problem. It has been difficult to learn much about this transmission. I don’t know where to find a Tremec dealer. I had it to an area transmission shop (where I’ve taken antique cars in the past), but they didn’t want to work on this one.

As I understand it, it’s out of a 1984 Ford Bronco. The day I bought the car, it shifted wonderfully. After I drove it home, it developed a really bad leak (1 oz every 11 miles) within about 600 or 700 miles and started shifting hard. I think the seller was honest, but the car had been sitting for a while in a garage. Sometimes old cars start leaking after they start on the road again.

I finally found a Model A mechanic, and he replaced the rear seal in the transmission. I’ve driven it a couple hundred miles since then, and I’m cautiously optimistic that it is fixed. However, I still feel the need to climb under the car to check the fluid every time I drive it, which is a nuisance. So, I’m thinking a dipstick might be a better way to check the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote